Are you planning on traveling this week for your vacation? Bought a gas guzzler instead of an EV because of the time it takes to charge, and chargers were not readily available on your commute or a road trip? Don’t want to get stuck without a charge, or kill a half day recharging your wheels? It looks like with the release of the Tesla Model 3 it will address most of these items such as:
- Range Per Charge – 215 miles
- Tesla Supercharger provides up to 170 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes.
- Relatively Affordable – 35k
But how wide spread are the charging stations, and what could be done as a catalyst to rapidly improve EV charging coverage? We can look at EV charging coverage, US map like we do for cellular coverage (and range). One possibility is to tack on a rider to federal funding requiring states that use federal funding for their highways implement EV Charging Stations at EVERY rest stop along the road.
However, there are a vast array of EV Charging Stations on the market. Although adoption across the US is currently sporadic, there are several brands/standards of EV Charging Mechanisms
- A heterogenous mix of N EV chargers per rest stop / station, may allow for a diverse set of solutions.
- Each state may declare N companies to install, maintain, and periodic upgrades for each EV Charging Station. Each rest stop / station can be awarded to separate contractors, or clustered
- The ‘bid winning’ companies per state responsible for the rest station EV chargers must perform ongoing evaluations of EV charging station adoption, and use quantifiable data for upgrading solutions, after N period of time.
Stakeholders to Gain from Expansion of EV Charging Stations across the United States of America.
- The Consumer
- EV Manufacturing Car Companies (Ford, General Motors, Nissan, Tesla, Toyota, etc.) Click here for the complete list.
- Car Rental Firms
- Is the cost of maintaining an EV vehicle (e.g. batteries) more expensive than the combustible engine?
- Retail / shops across the US; i.e. at least 1/2 hour to charge
Who is in a position to accelerate / fast track this program?
- Current Members of the 115th Congress
- POTUS – President Donald Trump
- Action via Executive Order (?)
Finally, is there really a “lack” of EV Charging Stations across the United States? Here is a map from the U.S. Department of Energy National Renewable Energy Laboratory’s (NREL) list of charging stations.
I found several EV Charging Stations in my area such as the Molly Pitcher Service Area, Mile Marker 71.7 New Jersey Turnpike, Cranbury, NJ 08512