The service, which Verizon only refers to as OTT, or over-the-top, named because it will be available to anyone with an Internet connection, as opposed to a television subscription, is the company’s big growth engine for the future. So far, the company has been mum on the details.
The telecom company is readying a mobile and online video service for launch in late summer, and a top exec says there’s nothing like it.
Verizon continues to line up video content from partners as well as through acquisitions, such as AOL.
Are there mobile / smart phones on the market today containing 4 GB of RAM, with an octa-core Snapdragon 810 processor? Available in the U.S.?
Source: OnePlus 2 Preview – CNET
I don’t see it when I log in to my AT&T Wireless account…yet, but I was trying to put a cap or maximum amount of the shared data each person in the plan is ALLOWED to use. A use case, my kids are on my family plan, and I want to limit their data usage.
Another possible case, from a small business perspective, if you add a few lines on your plan, then you may allocate to specific type of employees, such as sales reps., specific amounts of data. There are several types of widgets can be used, such as a pie chart, and the total pie represents the total data package, and each slice represents an allocation to each member of the shared plan.
Update: I stand corrected, and do see an AT&T Smart Limits for 4.99 USD per month: Am not sure if the ‘allocation program’ is implemented like the use case I presented.
- Block Unwanted Calls and Texts: Specify up to ’30’ blocked numbers.
- Prevent 411 Charges: Easily block calls to 411 Info.
- Limit Data Usage: Set monthly limits on data usage per billing cycle.
- Limit Texting: Set monthly limit for number of text messages per billing cycle
- Limit Purchases: Limit monthly purchases, such as apps and games that are billed directly to your AT&T account. Does not restrict credit card purchases from smartphone app stores.
- Limit Phone Use By Time of Day: Restrict texting, data usage and outbound calling during specified times of day. Designate allowed numbers regardless of other restrictions – up to 15 numbers.
At the show they had a red phone under a glass case,and it looked top secret. At first glance, when you approached the booth, the sales team seemed on the defensive about their product, and their placement in the marketplace, in the same arena as Samsung. As the conversation progressed, a more relaxed approached began to take place, and they even took their phone out of the glass case for me. I must say that they seem to be trying to bring their A Game with a Quad Core processor, Al be it 1.5 GHz, it was still an impressive device, and the specs may be found here.
We had a candid conversation, and I said to play in the global markets, they need to break the 4 GB barrier. Apple has now stunned the mobile community with the 64 Bit processor to get ready to raise the roof on memory. However, anyone who understands addressing, the 64 bit addresses will each take up more memory than their 32 bit counterpart, e.g. takes more memory to run each application, but if you have raised the amount of memory on the device, no problem. Unfortunately, Apple iPhone 5S has not raised the memory but has implied the 64 bit processor is the first step, getting their OS, and developers ready to manage more memory. I think it might have been in the cards but it’s too late.
Consequence, fewer applications may run in a 64 bit addressable processor without running out of memory in multi-threaded mode. Here is an example register under the Windows Chip Architecture, not exactly apples and oranges, but the analogy is similar.
- Win 32 v. 64
As a side note, back to the Asia market, here is an infographic which iterates through the opportunities in those consumer markets. Very interesting.
- APJE Smartphone Vendor
On line Media Business Models. I published similar articles in the past discussing Media Content Distribution models.
In a collaborative effort by the mobile industry to have more applications run on their platforms, the mobile OS vendors will provide a Java Virtual Machine, or JVM, with OS builds, and additionally enable their SDKs with the ability to ingest and create jar files so the code may be tweaked per OS platform. This move by the mobile industry is seen as a huge win for the vendors trailing in the market place, but it is deemed as an overall win for the industry. HTML 5 will need to wait a little longer on the promise to unify platforms.
Great advertisement for the new Motorola phone.
As a way to continue to sell into their existing channel, as well as retain their existing customer base, I might try a sales/marketing strategy if I was a wireless carrier, which would bring in existing customers every six months into the store.
Analogous to an oil change for your car, or mandatory service, I would require existing customer base into a participating wireless carrier partner to perform the following on the existing user’s smartphone:
- Check the performance of the smartphone upon existing ‘idle conditions’, and determine if there are any application [services] are required to run by querying the user, and uninstalling any currently unused applications.
- Check the performance of the smartphone upon start up, and see if there are any performance enhancement tools can be installed to the smartphone to help curb the usage of the memory and CPU cycles. Company may advocate new third party products for the smartphone platform.
- Depending upon the timing and the available deals, company may advocate any third party peripheral products, such as a car charger,or an male to male jack to plug the sound into your car to play music; a Bluetooth headset, or help connect your phone to your cars existing Bluetooth system.
- Depending upon the timing and the available deals, company may advocate for an upgrade to the existing smartphone, either the Operating System or the hardware.
- The company may try to sell another line into the package; i.e. sell additional lines, or new features that may be available at the current time, or conversion from a single to a family / multiple line package.
Every phone number in the world should have an IP address and a domain name associated with it, hence the gTLD proposal for .fon for every phone number. Things like us.emergency.fon = 911 would be possible. In addition, a group of cloud vendors would be awarded management of sections of these domains, which may be aligned to the phone number carrier, or if they don’t have the capability, they can ‘sell’ or ‘lease’ out the resource to a third party Internet Provider and Cloud Vendor, similar to the way we sell mortgages, or the mortgage companies sell off our mortgage.
Not only would the service of management of the domain name correlated to an IP address and a phone number, but each IP would have a virtual image managed in the cloud, which could provide to the consumer, cloud storage for storing public and private documents, as well as a ‘home page’, cloud computing cycles for the consumers public and private applications, as well as enabling the services: VoIP, text and email messaging.
These services may be provided free for some basic subset, and the extended subset would charge the customer, e.g. for additional cloud storage space. In addition, the client may choose to move their service to another provider. A public index.html home page, and a private index.html home page could be created, so a person may design their own portal, e.g. containing widgets, frequently used numbers, news widgets, etc. These pages scale downward to a mobile device or up to a high resolution image, e.g. addressable HD television.
Are you ever on the phone with the customer service representative, and you would like the ability to send back a message regarding your interaction, and maybe a good message, e.g., this was a great customer service representative, and they should be commended; or I spoke to ‘Sally’ on 5/2; sorry sir, I have no record of that conversation.
Why doesn’t all companies text us to our smartphone the representatives ID, and an identifying identification number for the record of the conversation? Too easy? Probably.