Providing Intelligent ‘Code’ Completion
At this stage in the application platform growth and maturity of the AI Personal Assistant, there are many commands and options that common users cannot formulate due to a lack of knowledge and experience .
A key usability feature for many integrated development environments (IDE) are their capability to use “Intelligent Code Completion” to guide their programmers to produce correct, functional syntax. This feature also enables the programmer to be unburdened by the need to look up syntax for each command reference, saving significant time. As the usage of the AI Personal Assistant grows, and their capabilities along with it, the amount of “command and parameters” knowledge required to use the AI Personal Assistant will also increase.
AI Leveraging Intelligent Command Completion
For each command parameter [level\tree], a drop down list may appear giving users a set of options to select for the next parameter. A delimiter such as a period(.) indicates to the AI Parser another set of command options must be presented to the person entering the command. These options are typically in the form of drop down lists concatenated to the right of the formulated commands.
AI Personal Assistant Language Syntax
Adding another AI parser on top of the existing syntax parser may allow commands like these to be executed:
- Abstraction (e.g. no application specified)
- Application Parser
- Seamless.Order.Food.Focacceria.Large Pizza
These AI command examples uses a hierarchy of commands and parameters to perform the function. One of the above commands leverages one of my contacts, and a ‘List123’ object. The ‘List123’ parameter may be a ‘note’ on my Smartphone that contains a list of food we would like to order. The command may place the order either through my contact’s email address, fax number, or calling the business main number and using AI Text to Speech functionality.
All personal data, such as Favorite Italian Restaurant, and Favorite Lunch Special could be placed in the AI Personal Assistant ‘Settings’. A group of settings may be listed as Key-Value pairs, that may be considered short hand for conversations involving the AI Assistant.
A majority of users are most likely unsure of many of the options available within the AI Personal assistant command structure. Intelligent command [code] completion empowers users with visibility into the available commands, and parameters.
For those without a programming background, Intelligent “Command” Completion is slightly similar to the autocomplete in Google’s Search text box, predicting possible choices as the user types. In the case of the guidance provided by an AI Personal Assistant the user is guided to their desired command; however, the Google autocomplete requires some level or sense of the end result command. Intelligent code completion typically displays all possible commands in a drop down list next to the constructor period (.). In this case the user may have no knowledge of the next parameter without the drop down choice list. An addition feature enables the AI Personal Assistant to hover over one of the commands\parameters to show a brief ‘help text’ popup.
Note, Microsoft’s Cortana AI assistant provides a text box in addition to speech input. Adding another syntax parser could be allowed and enabled through the existing User Interface. However, Siri seems to only have voice recognition input, and no text input.
Is Siri handling the iOS ‘Global Search’ requests ‘behind the scenes’? If so, the textual parsing, i.e. the period(.) separator would work. Siri does provide some cursory guidance on what information the AI may be able to provide, “Some things you can ask me:”
With only voice recognition input, use the Voice Driven Menu Navigation & Selection approach as described below.
Voice Driven, Menu Navigation and Selection
The current AI personal assistant, abstraction layer may be too abstract for some users. The difference between these two commands:
- Play The Rolling Stones song Sympathy for the Devil.
- Has the benefit of natural language, and can handle simple tasks, like “Call Mom”
- However, there may be many commands that can be performed by a multitude of installed platform applications.
- Spotify.Song.Sympathy for the Devil
- Enables the user to select the specific application they would like a task to be performed by.
- Spotify Help
- A voice driven menu will enable users to understand the capabilities of the AI Assistant. Through the use of a voice interactive menu, users may ‘drill down’ to the action they desire to be performed. e.g. “Press # or say XYZ”
- Optionally, the voice menu, depending upon the application, may have a customer service feature, and forward the interaction to the proper [calling or chat] queue.
Update – 9/11/16
- I just installed Microsoft Cortana for iOS, and at a glance, the application has a leg up on the competition
- The Help menu gives a fair number of examples by category. Much better guidance that iOS / Siri
- The ability to enter\type or speak commands provides the needed flexibility for user input.
- Some people are uncomfortable ‘talking’ to their Smartphones. Awkward talking to a machine.
- The ability to type in commands may alleviate voice command entry errors, speech to text translation.
- Opportunity to expand the AI Syntax Parser to include ‘programmatic’ type commands allows the user a more granular command set, e.g. “Intelligent Command Completion”. As the capabilities of the platform grow, it will be a challenge to interface and maximize AI Personal Assistant capabilities.