This posting is an assessment of the current state of entertainment portals, and opportunities for future, target states. This post may be updated as additional portals are evaluated, and system capabilities are added. System capabilities listed maybe mutually exclusive.
Although this is a saturated space, with many products, some highly recommended, I thought this idea might interest those involved in the Digital Asset Management space. Based on the maturity of existing products, and cost, it’s up to you, build or buy. The following may provide an opportunity for augmenting existing Google products, and overlaying a custom solution.
Google products can be integrated across their suite of solutions and may produce a cloud based, secure, Digital Asset Management, DAM solution. In this use case, the digital assets are Media (e.g. videos, still images)
A Google DAM may be created by leveraging existing features of Google Plus, Google Drive, YouTube, and other Google products, as well as building / extending additional functionality, e.g. Google Plus API, to create a DAM solution. An over arching custom framework weaves these products together to act as the DAM.
Google Digital Asset Management (New)
- A dashboard for Digital Asset Management should be created, which articulates, at a glance, where project media assets are in their life cycle, e.g. ingestion, transcoding, editing media, adding meta data, inclusion / editing of closed captions, workflow approvals, etc.
- Creation and maintenance of project asset folder structure within storage such as Google Drive for active projects as well as Google Cloud Storage for archived content. Ingested content to arrive in the project folders.
- Ability to use [Google YouTube] default encoding / transcoding functionality, or optionally leverage alternate cloud accessible transcoding solutions.
- A basic DAM UI may provide user interaction with the project and asset meta data.
- Components of the DAM should allow plug in integration with other components on the market today, such as an ingestion solution.
Google Drive and Google Cloud Storage. Cloud storage offers large quantities of storage e.g. for Media (video, audio), economically.
- Google Drive ingestion of assets may occur through an automated process, such as a drop folder within an FTP site. The folder may be polled every N seconds by the Google DAM orchestration, or other 3rd party orchestration product, and ingested into Google Drive. The ingested files are placed into a project folder designated by the accompanying XML meta file.
- The version control of assets, implemented by Google Drive and the DAM to facilitate collaboration and approval.
- Distribution and publishing media to designated people and locations, such as to social media channels, may be automatically triggered by DAM orchestration polling Google Drive custom meta data changes. On demand publishing is also achievable through the DAM.
- Archiving project assets to custom locations, such as Google Cloud solution, may be triggered by a project meta data status modification, or on demand through the DAM.
- Assets may be spawned into other assets, such as clips. Derived child assets are correlated with the master, or parent asset within the DAM asset meta data to trace back to origin. Eliminates redundancy of asset, enabling users to easily find related files and reuse all or a portion of the asset.
- Documents required to accompany each media project, such as production guidelines, may go through several iterations before they are complete. Many of the components of a document may be static. Google Docs may incorporate ‘Document Assembly’ technology for automation of document construction.
- Editing media either using default YouTube functionality, or using third party software, e.g. Adobe suite
- Enable caption creation and editing may use YouTube or third party software.
- The addition & modification of meta data according to the corporate taxonomy may be added or modified through [custom] YouTube fields, or directly through the Google DAM Db where the project data resides.
Google’s Google Plus +
- G+ project page may be used for project and asset collaboration
- Project team members may subscribe to the project page to receive notifications on changes, such as new sub clips
- Asset workflow notifications, human and automated:
- Asset modification approvals (i.e. G+ API <- -> DAM Db) through custom fields in G + page
- Changes to assets (i.e. collaboration) notifications,
- [Automated] e.g. ingestion in progress, or completed updates.
- [Automated] Process notifications: e.g. ‘distribution to XYZ’ and ‘transcoding N workflow’. G + may include links to assets.
- Google Plus for in-house, and outside org. team(s) collaboration
- G + UI may trigger actions, such as ingestion e.g. by specifying a specific Google Drive link, and a configured workflow.
Google Custom Search
- Allows for the search of assets within a project, within all projects within a silo of business, and across entire organization of assets.
- Ability to find and share DAM motion pictures, still images, and text assets with individuals, groups, project teams in or outside the organization. Google Plus to facilitate sharing.
- Asset meta data will e.g. describe how the assets may be used for distribution, digital distribution rights. Users and groups are implemented within G+, control of asset distribution may be implemented in Google Plus, and/or custom Google Search.
Here are a list of DAM vendors.